Sunday, May 10, 2015

A rainy day

Upon my return from Létra, I had mapped out my next hike... heading North through the woods to La Bonnaire.  It's a 6 km trip with a killer elevation change, very different terrain from what we've seen thus far, and reportedly wonderful views.  However, even the best laid plans can be easily foiled...

Today we woke up to rain... so it looks like that trip to La Bonnaire will have to wait.  The inclement weather, combined with the fact that we still have the rental car, causes us to decide to travel back to Villefranche-sur-Saone for another shopping trip.  As we wander up and down Rue Nationale, we notice that most stores are closed.  Fortunately, the good old Monoprix is open, which meets many of our needs.  We replenish our supply of TP, dishwasher pellets, and other sundry supplies. 

As a few clothing shops are also open, I buy a cute little dress and Colin buys some shorts.  All the bakeries are closed.  All the Pharmacies are closed.  Even the Post Office is closed. We are puzzled, and can't figure out why everything is closed on a Friday.  "Because France??" Colin offers helpfully. 

On the way home, we stop at the bakery in Létra and successfully buy a week's supply of croissants and baguettes. (For those of you interested, it turns out that the fabulous L'idée Gourmande bakery on the highway just past Létra is technically in Ternand, the town next to Létra.  But it is really nowhere near downtown Ternand.  It is open Wednesday through Saturday from 6:00-13:30 / 16:00-19:45, and Sundays 6:00-13:30 / 16-19:30.  There is a handwritten note added to the schedule, claiming opening hours on Tuesday also; however, there is another handwritten sign near the door stating "closed Tuesday."  Because France.)


Passing through Létra, we notice many groups of people gathered in various areas like parking lots, and a plethora of strange colorful ties on just about every tree, shrub, and vine in the town.  Finally, we pass a banner proclaiming: "Honneur aux Conscrits!"  and figure it out... May 8 is Victory Day in France: a bank holiday.


Back at home in the gite, it seems like the rain has stopped at least momentarily, so while Colin fires up his work computer, I decide to try the short walk to Chamelet, and see if I can find the walking path that from Le Crèt to downtown Chamelet, so I can avoid those scary-looking roads in the future. As you can see from the map below, I didn't make it... but that is getting ahead of myself!  ;) 


Heading out from the gite, I follow our picturesque little driveway to the main "road" called Le Cocon, which runs along the ridge between the gite and Le Crèt... the same paved path Colin and I ran up on our first day. 



Heading South, down the incline towards Le Crèt (a small group of houses at the end of the ridge--shown far right), it starts to drizzle, but since the temperature is warm and the rain quickly subsides, I forge onward.  The sky looks ominous to the West, but I gamble that I can beat the rain. After passing the two sets of vineyards flanking the left turn leading to Le Grand Bola, I enter Le Crèt. At the first property on the right, I run into a curious horse.  


Not long after, I locate the entry to the walking path to Chamelet.  Perhaps due to its angle off the road, I miss it while walking South, but as I turn around again it is more obvious.  It looks a lot like a driveway, but I recognize it from when our host Alban pointed it out from the car. To make sure I can find it again later (and to help any of you who actually want to hike it!), I note that it is basically directly across from the driveway with the cute cat motif on the mailbox.



Just at that moment, the thunder starts to roll.  Well, that is my cue to hightail it back up to the gite. I'm a little disappointed I won't make it all the way to Chamelet today, but I do not want to be walking along the crest of Le Crèt in a lightning storm!  Looking to the West, I can actually see the curtain of rain advancing.  


I quickly snap a couple photos of Chamelet far below, then start rushing (but not running--I had learned my lesson that first day! lol) up the hill towards the gite.  In the photo below, Chamelet is shown in the centre, and La Grange is shown on the left. La Grange is actually across the highway and a small creek, but it's hard to see that detail in the photo.


To make a short story short:  I successfully make it back to the gite before the rain hits, but it sure made for a very short randonnée!  Listening to the rain the rest of the night, I am mollified by my cell phone's weather app, which promises that tomorrow will be clear again.  ;)




7 comments:

  1. What a pretty little village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in mind that if you run out of croissants and buns, you can always start baking again. Don't you think Colin would really like to smell fresh baked bread wafting in the country air?
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have an oven here... ;) Hmmm... I'd need to figure out (1) how/where to buy flour, (2) how to get it up the hill to our gite! lol.

      Actually, now that you mention it, I don't think I have seen a "baking supplies" section in any of the supermarkets I've been to... I wonder if it is like the pharmacie, which is a separate store here in France.

      Delete
  3. Because France...

    The curious horse,
    A week's supply of croissants and baguettes...
    Curtain of rain advancing from the West.
    Listen to the rain-
    The rest of the night
    With the cute cat motif on the mailbox
    On a Picturesque little driveway:
    Tomorrow might be a clear day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nihan, how fabulous!! You always make me smile!

      Delete






  4. Jen, I meant to tell you earlier today that the reason for the shops in France being closed in the last couple of days is because many countries around the world were commemorating the 70 th anniversay of VE Victory in Europe, which marked the end of WWII against Nazi Germany. Britian has been celebrating for a week, Canadians had ceremonies throughout the country, The Netherlands had huge prarades to honour huge numbers of Canadian servicemen and servicewomen (many in their eighties and nineties) riding in tanks and other service vehicles through the streets lined deep with the Dutch reaching out to touch and shake hands with their Canadian liberators. I expect France had similar ceremonies. Even Russia had a hugh prarade on Saturday.
    Just thought I'd let you know what it was all about. Guess you aren't watching the news on TV or cellphones.
    Love, Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this! Actually, we have not watched any TV since we arrived. We tried to watch one of our shows on Netflix one of the first nights, but we both fell asleep in the middle. Then we have never felt like watching anything since then! Lol. We went back to Letra by foot on Monday, and there was a guy vacuuming up the confetti on the streets. It was like a glitter bomb had gone off that had covered the whole town.

      Delete